Upon reflection, I realize almost all my computing falls into a few categories:
- Web applications
- Desktop applications on the Mac, either written by Apple or a first class Mac-only development shop.
- Command line and basic text editor stuff.
- EVE Online and related (mostly Windows) utilities.
- Random applets, calculator, etc.
- OpenOffice when necessary when I'm not on a Mac.
- Random things for Vivian (Celestia, Stellarium, etc. on Mac or Linux).
But in the period last year when I didn't have a reliable Mac, I just stopped using desktop applications rather than using the non-Mac alternatives. This isn't really a planned or rational decision. I just can't be bothered to use non-Mac desktop apps if I can possibly avoid it.
So this would explain why I'm fairly blase about the iPhone/iPad being limited to... web apps and Apple development tools -- that's exactly what I would want.