As you might expect, an interesting mix of people turn up at an urban public skatepark on early spring mornings while school is in session. On Thursday I met a voluble skater who explained to me that:
- He was out of practice because he hadn't skated for three weeks.
- He was really high.
- He'd just gotten out of some kind of institution (his three week layoff) because he'd gotten in a fight with his brother and ended up brandishing kitchen knives while his brother called 911.
- He once kickflipped down an eight step staircase.
- He was manic depressive but back on medication.
- He needed a ride.
- He is a Christian and wondered if I knew God.
Nice kid (for the record, I'd say he was 18). I gave him a ride. If he'd been my student I probably wouldn't have known any of the above.